Think About Your Laptop

It took 50,000 litres to make your laptop. Three square feet of rainforest was destroyed in the process. Ecosystems disappeared. Think about recycled materials. Think about the planet.

For more information: WWF

17 Responses to “Think About Your Laptop”

1. Steve February 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

A bit patronizing. I do not like being treated in such a simplistic and patronizing way. Give me Science and Data. Do not Preach in such a simplistic and condescending manner. It turns people off. It turns people away.

• ibika February 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

oh blah blah steve!!..

• William February 24, 2012 at 12:51 am #

This may not appeal to you, but if you want statistics, go search for them instead of bashing the video here. This is meant for the average american consumerist which has been very seriously brainwashed by the american government into thinking a whole bunch of things. The first step is getting them interested. Likely boring statistics and facts are not the way to do this. Which probably means your smart, but really, why don’t you go look for statistics and make your own video?

• Jenny February 25, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

I think your attitude is the barrier

2. bob February 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

I do agree Steve. I find it very difficult to believe my one laptop caused all that destruction. Which is what is being implied. Very patronising. Especially when you used either a pc or laptop to post this.

• ibika February 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

bob what a load of tosh your input is.. how patronising

3. Drew February 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Well my big question is how many greenpeace members use laptops…how much environmental damage has been done with the servers they use and the computers they use so do there websites.Print off there flyers and articles the ink they use made from Oil.Probably alot more than what it costs to make my laptop which generally 90% of them now are made from recycled material.So instead of making yourselves look like Hypocrites.Why not focus on the damage YOU are doing to the environment and check out your information and your statistics.

• ibika February 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

drew, my big question is , how do smart arses like you have the gall to even bother trolling around like this.. what amazes me is how we are churning out people like you in 2012…. to be frank.. morons.

• William February 24, 2012 at 12:47 am #

It is about whether its worth it or not. Everyone is online today. Impacting the environment a bit to spread a whole bunch of awareness or not doing anything at all?
      Instead of bashing a organization meaning good, why don’t you ignore its faults and try to do some good in the world yourself?

4. manu ganji February 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

It’s easy to rubbish the ‘facts’ presented in the video. If you are a person with a sound analytical ability, you can go ahead and research about it.

Many people stop short of going to the very basic while finding about climate issues.

A good rule to remember – lesser energy is available after each stage of conversion. ( because no process of energy conversion is anywhere close to 100% efficient )

For e.g., In an LPG stove, petroleum energy is converted to heat. Now consider an electrical stove. Thermal energy from coal (picking coal which is very close to petroleum) is converted to electrical energy which is again converted into heat. You can see there are lesser number of conversion stages in LPG based cooking. So, LPG is in fact more efficient than electrical in the overall picture.

What I mean to say is that people should try to understand the impact of resource consumption in as holistic a manner as possible.

5. Gustavo Morejón February 23, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

I agree. It will be great to have a list of materials included in a laptop and where do they come from. For example, if you talk about a cell phone, it contains about 15 grams of copper, which is 14% of its weight (and can reach nearly 19% of its weight if you consider the battery and charger), 23 grams of plastics and oil derivates and around 21 different metals. Copper comes mainly from copper mines in Chile, Brazil, Perú, Bolivia and Ecuador, where the possibility that it comes from a wild area, such as a rainforest, is about 39%. From this percentage, 63% of the mines are producing copper in a sustainable manner and are reforesting wild ecosystems (for example, the Morro do Ouro mine have recovered about 20% of the Amazon forest it used to extract minerals and maintains high standards of pollution control on water, air and soils). About 34% of the copper we use today comes from recycling. I will be delighted to “make a surgery” to a laptop and separate all the elements contained on it and trace them to its origin. But the view that is presented here, hardly represent a real and objective point of view. So, don’t worry Bob, it is not a real approach to the impact of your laptop on the environment.

6. gogo February 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

50,000litres and three square feet to make many laptop(not just a laptop).
    Making plastic bottle of mineral bottle is make more damage to environment, bcoz many people use plastic bottle rather than use laptop

7. NoCru February 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

I think they just present it in a way that will attract attention so that we will be curious to find out more. When you wonder and question, chances are you are affected and thus, are enjoined to dig more. Take it with a grain of salt. Nothing more, nothing less.

8. chris February 24, 2012 at 9:28 am #

I am trying to make an ethically decision on the purchase of a new laptop, as all the technology seems to be on par with all brands this is no longer a factor. After some research making a choice to purchase a laptop on ethically grounds is horrifying as all the major brands have such poor records on environment, human rights, working conditions, political investment & sustainability. So I thought I would ask an expert. It was recommended to me to view this site http://www.triodos.com/en/about-triodos-bank/what-we-do/sri-strategy/eligible-companies2/recent-results regarding Sustainable investment. I was shocked that not one laptop, I-book, net book producer made the list. It would be helpful if WWF or Green TV gave their recommendations on which laptop brand is trying to improve its standards. We do go looking & find no-one saying which brands to support as they have some standards.

9. Мише February 25, 2012 at 10:51 am #

Who cares? I don’t, that’s for sure.

10. Jenny February 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Reading these comments- I think you are missing the point. Every thing we have costs the earth,its an example…….BE GRATEFUL. NOT WASTEFUL

11. suzon February 26, 2012 at 7:53 am #

if you go that road….why not to stop first to eat chocolate? 1 laptop=2,1 kilos of chocolate!!!

… 12,000 liters of water to make 500g chocolate!

that makes me think even more!